Saturday, July 19, 2014

One of the things I wanted to do this summer was read some books on behavior management. Our school is a PBiS school where positive behavior is the focus and rewarded. My current system was that children would earn straws for good behavior and finishing assignments. After they have 10 straws they can trade them in for a coupon. The reward coupons are for fun things that are not actual "things" such as computer time, a good phone call home, lunch with the teacher, and read a book to the class. The system didn't reset each day so that kind-of kept the kiddos from comparing themselves to their peers. If someone didn't have any straws you just assume they just used a coupon and are now starting over to reach that 10 straw goal.

While this system worked for the majority of the class and was practically self-run by the students, there were a handful that needed more. I'd have a few take straws from others pouch, or find that they could still earn straws for doing low quality work. Why put in the effort if there was no real consequence? I couldn't really blame them.. I needed to tweak my system and I needed more concrete rules and expectations. What I mean by this is our class made the usual list of rules at the beginning of the year and they all signed them. However, those few little friends of mine could find a loophole.

And so, my mission this summer was to do some research and learn what's new out in the education world. I needed something to keep my class engaged and happy to follow the rules- what a concept!

That is why I started reading Whole Brain Teaching for Challenging Kids by Chris Biffle.


"If you have kids who won't stay in their seats, or who talk out of turn, or who turn in sloppy work (when they turn in work at all), or who are openly rebellious, or who are locked in their shell, or who disrupt class with clownish antics, or who know exactly how to push your buttons, or who are a danger to themselves and/or others, then please read this book with a large hanky. When you are finished, you'll be sobbing tears of joy".

Uh yeah, I LOVE IT!!! The book covers the big seven, and I'm only halfway through so far.

1. Class-Yes
2. Five Classroom Rules
3. Teach-Okay
4. The Scoreboard
5. Hands and Eyes
6. Switch
7. Mirror

So far the book has offered a fun way to get your students attention, 5 rules that have NO LOOPHOLES, a way for students to practice their speaking while also explaining their thinking of new concepts, and a way to keep "score" of how well the students are following directions. I still have three to go and can't wait to read.

If you feel like you're in a rut with behavior management or just want a new engaging strategy to try please check out this book or their website. I can't wait to give updates during the first week of school to see how the little ones respond! :)

I'm off to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment